Moated site, fishpond and connnecting channel, Elton
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012122 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 04:27:24.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 45535 74828
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Elton contains a diversity of component parts and survives in a relatively undamaged condition, virtually untouched by modern development. The site retains considerable archaeological potential for the recovery of evidence of the building that originally occupied the island.
The monument at Elton comprises a moated site possessing a causeway and
outer banks with an adjoining fishpond and connecting channel.
The moated site at Elton consists of a slightly raised island c.30m square
from which some stone foundations have in the past been removed. The island
is surrounded on all sides by a moat c.12m wide x 1.7m max. depth. The W arm
is marshy but elsewhere the moat is dry. A causeway gives access to the
island across the N arm of the moat and wide outer banks exist on the N and
S sides of the moat. A short distance to the N is a waterlogged/silted
fishpond linked to the NW corner of the moat by a channel now utilised by a
modern field drain.
Most moats were constructed between 1250-1350 and are generally seen as the
prestigious residences of the Lords of the manor. The moat in such
circumstances marked the high status of the occupier and also served to
deter casual raiders and wild animals.
The hedged field boundary at the W of the monument is excluded from the
scheduling, however, the ground beneath it is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Capstick, B., FMW Report, (1987)
Cheshire SMR, No. 1986,
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Dennison, E., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Fishponds, (1988)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing