Netherthorpe moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012200 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 17:56:34.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)
- Thorpe Salvin
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 53782 80616
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The Netherthorpe site has a water-filled moat, in which organic and palaeoenvironmental material will survive. It has never been excavated and undisturbed deposits survive on the island and are expected to contain the foundations of buildings and a revetment wall.
Netherthorpe moat comprises a rectangular island, measuring 40m north-south
and 50m east-west, surrounded by a water-filled moat crossed by a modern
causeway at the north-west corner. Except at the north-east corner where it
widens considerably, the moat is c.10m wide and is fed at present from the
Bondhay Dyke. Limestone blocks found on the island, particularly along the
northern edge, suggest the island was walled on this side. Late medieval
pottery has also been found on the site. In the sixteenth century,
Netherthorpe was referred to as being `formerly of the dissolved priory of
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Le Patourel, H E J, The Moated Sites of Yorkshire, (1973)
Public Records Office (Pag: 488), Catalogue of Ancient Deeds, (1915)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing