Raunds bowl barrow
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1012452
Date first listed: 18-Jan-1993
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012452 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2019 at 15:52:11.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SP9624370824
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
This large bowl barrow, lying close to the valley floor, is essentially undisturbed and will retain considerable potential for the preservation of archaeological and environmental evidence.
The barrow at Raunds is situated 500m to the north-west of Redlands Farm and
just to the north-east of a lake which is located on the western side of the
A605. It lies on low-lying ground in the valley of the River Nene. The
barrow consists of a low round mound which is 23m in diameter and 0.3m high.
Around the barrow mound there are traces of a ditch about 2m wide.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 13676
Legacy System: RSM
Addison, C, SMR Records (1766/0/1), (1991)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing