This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Bailey Hall moated site, fishponds and chantry of St John the Baptist.

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Bailey Hall moated site, fishponds and chantry of St John the Baptist.

List entry Number: 1012619

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 20-May-1991

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13423

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Bailey Hall survives well, the earthworks being particularly evident. Also of particular note is the unusual survival of a chapel within the moated enclosure. Indeed this is the only moated site in Lancashire known to have contained a parochial chapel.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument at Bailey Hall is a well preserved dry moat surrounding a platform upon which is located the late 16th century Bailey Hall, an adjacent outbuilding, access road and garden, and the ruins of the Chantry of St John the Baptist. Two hollows to the W of the moated enclosure are interpreted as fishponds. Bailey Hall, the chapel ruins and an adjacent barn are all listed grade II. Bailey Hall was the manor house of the Cliderours in the 13th century. The moat survives in almost perfect condition on the E and W sides but has been partly infilled on the S. On the N side there is a short length of moat surviving at the NE corner. A prominent outer bank exists along the E and NE sides with a gap in the centre of the E side. E of this gap is a low oval mound. A low inner bank exists at the NE corner of the island. The ruins of the early 14th century chapel of St John the Baptist stand to the N of Bailey Hall. The N and E wall of this chapel survive to a max. height of 1.7m. Bailey Hall, its outbuilding and connecting wall, the E end of the access road, and all fencing on the monument is excluded from the scheduling. The ground beneath all these features, however, is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newdigate, Rev C A, Cheetham, F H, 'Historical Society of Lancashire and Cheshire' in The Chantry Of St John The Baptist At Bailey, , Vol. LXVIII, (1916), 161
Newdigate, Rev C A, Cheetham, F H, 'Historical Society of Lancashire and Cheshire' in The Chantry Of St John The Baptist At Bailey, , Vol. LXVIII, (1916), 151
Newdigate, Rev C A, Cheetham, F H, 'Historical Society of Lancashire and Cheshire' in The Chantry Of St John The Baptist At Bailey, , Vol. LXVIII, (1916), 163
Other
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1988)
Lancs. SMR PRN 1025,

National Grid Reference: SD 67845 37314

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012619 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2017 at 07:22:15.

End of official listing