This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Medieval moated site with adjacent late medieval Pondbay, Walsh Manor, Crowborough

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Medieval moated site with adjacent late medieval Pondbay, Walsh Manor, Crowborough

List entry Number: 1012784

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Crowborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 06-Nov-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jul-1990

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 12732

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Walsh Manor shows a diversity of component parts including an unusual ornamental entrance and is of high archaeological potential due to its continued waterlogging. The pondbay is one of ca.100 such monuments known in the Weald and represents a dammed pond and an associated iron-works dating to the 15th-18th centuries, the remains of which are considered likely to survive in the area between the pondbay and the moated site.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The moated site is represented by a rectangular ditched area 85m by 50m with an extension at the north-west corner which formed a fishpond associated with the moated site. Also included is an earthen bank to the west of the moat which formerly dammed a stream to provide power for an iron-works. Moated sites are generally seen as the prestigious residences of the Lords of the manor. The moat marked the high status of the occupier, but also served to deter casual raiders and wild animals. Most moats were constructed between 1250 and 1350, and it is to this period that the example at Walsh Manor is likely to date. On the eastern side of the moated site is an entrance causeway 25m long which is flanked by shallow ponds on either side. The more northerly of these ponds is linked to the moated site by a drain and empties into the eastward flowing stream nearby. Being on the downstream side of the moated site, these ponds are considered to have been an ornamental addition to the entrance way rather than to have functioned as fishponds. On the western side of the moated site is a well-preserved pondbay stretching across the narrow valley. Pondbays are dams which held back water to drive a water-wheel which in turn powered the heavy ore-crushing hammers and bellows of iron-works. Pondbays were employed from the 15th-18th centuries, and are typically associated with other remains of the iron-works such as the wheel- pit, blast furnace and casting floor, all of which were sited near the pondbay. The fencing around parts of the monument are excluded from the scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cleere, H, Crossley, D, The Iron Industry of the Weald, (1985), 219-76
Other
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
TQ 52 NW 10,

National Grid Reference: TQ 52472 28608

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012784 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2017 at 05:39:12.

End of official listing