Lord's Barrow: a bowl barrow 500m north of Northground Dairy

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1013341

Date first listed: 14-Aug-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jan-1993

Map

Ordnance survey map of Lord's Barrow: a bowl barrow 500m north of Northground Dairy
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013341 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 11:49:41.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck (District Authority)

Parish: Chaldon Herring

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Owermoigne

National Grid Reference: SY 77758 84123

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Despite some damage to Lord's Barrow, and the fact that the east side has been truncated by a road, the barrow survives well and contains archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the monument and the landscape in which it was constructed. This is one of numerous barrows which survive locally adding to the understanding of Bronze Age settlement in the area.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow, known as Lord's Barrow, one of a line of ridge top barrows which overlooks Owermoigne and the marshes of Galton Heath to its north, and the rivulets and springs of the Chaldon Herring valley to the south. The barrow has a mound and surrounding ditch. The barrow mound is 22m in diameter and stands to a height of c.3.5m. The ditch, from which material was quarried during the construction of the monument, surrounds the mound. This is no longer visible at ground level, having been infilled over the years, but survives as a buried feature c.4m wide. A concrete structure has been built over the west part of the ditch. The concrete structure and the ground beneath it are excluded from the scheduling. The post and wire fences which cross the monument are excluded from the scheduling, but the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 21906

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
RCHME, , 'South-East part 3' in County of Dorset, , Vol. 2, (1970)

End of official listing