This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Site of Preceptory of the Holy Trinity (Knights Hospitallers)

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Site of Preceptory of the Holy Trinity (Knights Hospitallers)

List entry Number: 1013402

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Beverley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 22-Feb-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 12608

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Site of a Preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers, one of only three founded as urban institutions, and latterly one of the wealthiest of their sixty or so houses. The Preceptory complex included residential and service buildings, a church and a burial ground, enclosed by a moat and entered by a formal gateway. Although no remains of the period are currently visible on the surface, evidence from elsewhere in the town suggests that building foundations and other archaeological features are likely to survive beneath the railway track and associated goods yard, which are slightly embanked.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Site of a preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers, founded soon after 1201, when Sybil de Valloines gave the Order the manor of the Holy Trinity. At the dissolution in 1540 the Beverley preceptory was one of the wealthiest in England. Although much of the site was buried by the construction of the Hull- Bridlington railway in the 1840's, the northern and eastern sides of the moat were still visible in 1856, and the eastern arm, eventually filled in to make way for sidings, is shown on an OS 1:500 plan of 1892. All buildings and structures, including the platforms, the rail track and its ballast make-up, are excluded from the scheduling; the ground under all buildings and structures, including that under the platforms, the rail track and its ballast make-up, is included within the scheduling, however.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 03851 39676

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013402 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 02:31:37.

End of official listing