Bowl barrow on Huggate Wold, 700m NNW of Watermanhole Reservoir
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1013863
Date first listed: 17-Dec-1929
Date of most recent amendment: 11-Mar-1996
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1013863 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2019 at 04:50:27.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SE 85763 57353
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
The monument is one of a closely associated group of barrows on Huggate Wold. The location of the barrows alongside an ancient greenway, and close to the very extensive systems of dykes and hollow ways dating back to the Bronze Age, offers important insights into ancient land use and territorial divisions for social, ritual and agricultural purposes in this area of the Yorkshire Wolds. Despite part excavation by J R Mortimer in 1882, an earlier, unrecorded excavation, and the effects of ploughing over many years, the barrow still survives as a visible feature in the landscape, and will contain further burials and archaeological information relating to its construction.
The monument includes a Bronze Age bowl barrow on Huggate Wold, situated about
550m south of the A166 York-Bridlington road, 2.5km south west of Fridaythorpe
Village and 700m NNW of Watermanhole Reservoir. The barrow is one of a group
of three barrows surviving in close proximity in this area, and together these
form part of a much larger group of bowl barrows dispersed across Huggate Wold
and Huggate Pasture.
Although altered over the years by agricultural activity which has reduced the
height of the mound and spread its surface area, the barrow is still visible
as a low mound 0.3m high and 25m in diameter. It is surrounded by a ditch up
to 3m wide which, although infilled by ploughing and no longer visible at
ground level, will survive as a buried feature.
The monument was originally part of a larger cemetery of 20 barrows
existing adjacent to an ancient trackway, which is itself related to the
ancient greenway in the Wolds of East Yorkshire, now known as the Wolds Way.
This sub-group of three barrows lies around 1.2km to the north west of the
linear bank and ditch system of Horse Dale and should therefore be viewed in
the context of the wider ancient landscape, where very extensive systems of
banks, dykes and hollow ways link large tracts of the countryside in this area
of the Yorkshire Wolds.
The barrow was subject to an unrecorded excavation by Mr Thomas of Boston,
Lincolnshire in November 1881, and subsequently was reopened by J R Mortimer
in April 1882. According to Mortimer, Mr Thomas found two skeletons placed
together towards the centre of the mound, just below the original ground
surface. They were lying on their right sides, but opposed, one with its head
to the north and the other with its head to the south. A leaf shaped black
flint spearhead was discovered behind the shoulders of one and another of
similar appearance found at the feet of the other. When Mortimer reopened the
barrow, he found that it had been constructed of yellowish brown loamy
sediment which covered a central core of bluish clay which had evidently been
brought in from outside the area. Other burned human bones were found
dispersed close to the mound centre, indicating the prior existence of a
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 26551
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Mortimer, J R , Forty Years Researches in British and Saxon Burial Mounds of East Yorkshire, (1905)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing