Bowl barrow 550m north east of Field Dairy Farm
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1015184
Date first listed: 17-Oct-1932
Date of most recent amendment: 07-Feb-1997
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1015184 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 11:26:51.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: East Dorset (District Authority)
Parish: Sturminster Marshall
National Grid Reference: ST 93352 01640
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
The bowl barrow 550m north east of Field Dairy Farm is unusually located in a low lying position on the floodplain of the River Stour and may therefore contain waterlogged deposits which provide very good conditions for the preservation of archaeological and environmental remains. It is a well preserved example of its class and is known from part excavation to contain archaeological remains providing information about Bronze Age burial practices, economy and environment.
The monument includes a bowl barrow 550m north east of Field Dairy Farm, on
the flood plain of the River Stour 110m south of the south bank of the river.
The barrow has a mound which is 30m in diameter and a maximum of 1.8m high.
The top of the mound is flattened and there is a clear depression c.2m wide
running from the south eastern side of the mound to its centre. The eastern
side of the mound is also very uneven and both areas of disturbance probably
resulted from the part excavation carried out in 1838 by Revd Woolls. These
located a primary cremation and other burnt material together with an amber
bead and possibly some secondary interments. Surrounding the mound is a quarry
ditch from which material was excavated during its construction. This has
become infilled over the years but survives as a buried feature 3m wide.
All fence posts and the telegraph pole are excluded from the scheduling
although the ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 27461
Legacy System: RSM
Books and journals
Wools, C, The Barrow Diggers, (1839), 102-105
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing