This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Dovecote at Glebe Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Dovecote at Glebe Farm

List entry Number: 1016549


The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Barnsley

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Tankersley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 02-Jul-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 29946

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Dovecotes are specialised structures designed for the breeding and keeping of doves as a source of food and as a symbol of high social status. Most surviving examples were built in the period between the 14th and the 17th centuries, although both earlier and later examples are documented. They were generally freestanding structures, square or circular in plan and normally of brick or stone, with nesting boxes built into the internal wall. They were frequently sited at manor houses or monasteries. Whilst a relatively common monument class (1500 examples are estimated to survive out of an original population of c.25,000), most will be considered to be of national interest, although the majority will be listed rather than scheduled. They are also generally regarded as an important component of local distinctiveness and character.

The standing and buried remains of Tankersley dovecote at Glebe Farm are particularly well preserved. It is a very good and relatively rare example of a dovecote over a freestanding cart shed. The survival of the metal spikes over three of the windows is exceptionally rare. Taken as a whole Tankersley dovecote will enhance our understanding of the construction and use of dovecotes in the area and their position in the wider landscape.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument includes the standing and below ground remains of Tankersley dovecote. The dovecote stands in the yard of Glebe Farm abutted to a range of farm buildings. The two storey dovecote, which is Listed Grade II, is square in plan with a cart shed on the ground floor. It is constructed of coursed sandstone blocks with large quoins (corner stones) and ashlar dressing for the doorway. The pitched roof is capped with stone slates and a continuous drip mould runs around the building just below the eaves. The entrance to the cart shed on the ground floor has a segmented archway above. A doorway has been inserted at ground level on the northern side of the cartshed but this has since been blocked. There are glazed windows high up on three of the walls. The fourth window on the north side of the dovecote is a two light mullioned window but this has been blocked. Three of the windows are protected by grills of metal spikes, some of which have barbed points on the ends. These were used to prevent birds of prey entering the dovcote. The door to the dovecote is above an external flight of steps, and has a square faced surround with a keystone and date stone above which reads RGDD 1735. Internally the dovecote retains its small, whitewashed, brick and clay nest boxes on all walls. A floor, spreading approximately two thirds across the dovecote, has been inserted just below the roof line. The nest boxes have been used to support the joists which in turn support the floor. The initials on the date stone above the door refer to Richard Goodwin, rector of Tankersley and Prestwich between 1715 and 1752. Originally, Glebe Farms were attached to the church and were used to provide an income for the rector. It is thought that the dovecote at Tankersley, in the yard of Glebe Farm, was built by or for the rector who lived in the adjacent rectory. The barn abutting the dovecote on its east side where it falls within the monuments protective margin is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath this is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 1 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hunter, J, South Yorkshire The History and Topography of the Deanery of Don, (1828), 300-305

National Grid Reference: SK3489299803


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016549 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2018 at 09:07:49.

End of official listing