Gallows Hill round barrow
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016737 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 21:24:26.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 04774 63791
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Gallows Hill round barrow survives reasonably well despite partial excavation and plough damage. It will retain significant information on its use and history.
The monument includes the remains of a Bronze Age round barrow, located 800m
north east of Pockthorpe Hall.
Reputed to be the site of a gallows in the 14th century, the round barrow was
excavated in 1958 by Messrs C and E Grantham and found to cover two graves,
one with a food vessel. Within the body of the mound, which in 1958 was
already plough damaged, a number of flint implements and beaker shards were
found along with two cremation burials, one with a second food vessel. The
barrow was found to be ditched and to be surrounded by a number of shallow
medieval graves which were presumed to relate to the use of the barrow as the
site of a gallows. The area has remained under cultivation since then and was
recorded as being one foot high and 90 feet in diameter in 1967. The mound has
since been reduced to a slight rise of no more than 0.2m high and 6m in
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing