Linear bowl barrow group on Ligger Point, 250m west of Penhale Mine

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1016990
Date first listed:
24-Sep-1999

Map

Ordnance survey map of Linear bowl barrow group on Ligger Point, 250m west of Penhale Mine
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016990 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 11:13:35.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Perranzabuloe
National Grid Reference:
SW 75927 58032

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The barrows on Ligger Point are well preserved in a commanding position in relation to the surrounding landscape. They are known from part excavation to contain archaeological evidence relating to the barrows and the landscape in which they were constructed.

Details

The monument includes three bowl barrows aligned roughly north west to south east, situated near the cliff edge on Ligger Point. They are in a commanding position on the cliff top overlooking Perran Bay. The barrows have mounds which vary in diameter from 12m to 18m and they have an average height of 0.9m. The central barrow of the three is the largest and the two barrows either side of it lie at distances, centre to centre, of 25m to the north west, and 50m to the south east respectively. Bronze Age urns were recovered from all three barrows in the 1950s; two were deposited with the city museum at Truro whilst the third was retained by the finder. The concrete reservoir emplacement on the north east side of the westernmost barrow is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath this feature is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
29686
Legacy System:
RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Warner, R, 'Cornish Archaeology' in Parish of Perranzabuloe, , Vol. 2, (1963), 69
Warner, R, 'Cornish Archaeology' in Parish of Perranzabuloe, , Vol. 2, (1963), 69
Warner, R, 'Cornish Archaeology' in Parish of Perranzabuloe, , Vol. 2, (1963), 69
Other
MSS, Penna, L J, Archaeological Notes, (1950)
Stanhope-Lovell, W W G, (1954)

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].