This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site, fishponds, icehouse and associated earthworks at Wyeford Farm.

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site, fishponds, icehouse and associated earthworks at Wyeford Farm.

List entry Number: 1017401

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Pamber

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 27-Jul-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 12061

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Although a large number of moated sites are known in England, relatively few survive in Hampshire. This example is particularly important as it forms part of a well-preserved water-management complex which also includes fishponds and a formal water-garden. In addition the site has high potential for the preservation of organic and archaeological remains, displays a wide range of archaeological features and has historical documentation.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument comprises a water-management complex including a moated site, fishponds, icehouse and a formal landscaped garden surrounding Wyeford Farm. The moated site is orientated NW-SE and surrounds the present farmhouse. It has maximum external dimensions of 70m east-west by 60m north-south and includes an island with dimensions of 50m by 55m surrounded by a part water-filled ditch. The ditch survives to a width of c.10m and a depth of up to 2m. The site of the original entrance may be indicated by the causeway across the middle of the north- west arm. It appears to have been fed at the western corner by a channel from the associated fishponds and drained by an artificial water- course from the southern corner. Associated with the moat are a series of fishponds, some immediately surrounding the moated site and others some 300m to the north-west, and a formal landscaped garden immediately to the east which survives as a complex of channels and raised platforms covering an area of some 100m square. The icehouse is of brick construction and occupies a site west of the moat. The site is considered to represent the manor of "Withford" or "Wyford" held by William Hotot in 1166. Reference to the site also appears in 1601 and 1605. The listed 17th century brick and timber farmhouse and its associated buildings are excluded from the scheduling though the ground beneath these buildings is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Other
Dennison, E and Darvill, T, HBMC Monument Class Description - Moats, 1988,
Dennison, E., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Fishponds, (1988)
Stamper, P, Medieval Hampshire: studies in landscape history, 1983, PhD thesis: University of Southampton

National Grid Reference: SU 59720 59050, SU 59983 58797

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017401 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 03:03:18.

End of official listing