Bowl barrow 620m north of Higher Eworthy
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1017971
Date first listed: 19-Mar-1957
Date of most recent amendment: 23-Apr-1998
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017971 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2019 at 17:02:04.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: West Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SX 44470 95785
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite some evidence for partial excavation, the bowl barrow 620m north of Higher Eworthy survives well in a prominent location and contains archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the monument and surrounding landscape. This barrow forms part of a dispersed cluster of barrows.
This monument includes a bowl barrow situated on the summit of a hill
overlooking the valley of a tributary to the River Wolf.
The monument survives as a slightly oval 1.9m high mound which measures 26.8m
long from east to west and 24.3m wide from north to south. A hollow in the
centre suggests partial excavation, probably in antiquity. The surrounding
ditch from which material to construct the mound was derived is preserved as a
buried feature 3.5m wide.
A stock proof fence which crosses the southern part of the monument is
excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 30333
Legacy System: RSM
Devon County Sites and Monuments Register, SX49NW7, (1982)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing