This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Ringwork at Kingshaugh Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Ringwork at Kingshaugh Farm

List entry Number: 1018619

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Darlton

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

District Type: District Authority

Parish: East Markham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 13-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Jul-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 29936

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Ringworks are medieval fortifications built and occupied from the late Anglo-Saxon period to the later 12th century. They comprised a small defended area containing buildings which was surrounded or partly surrounded by a substantial ditch and a bank surmounted by a timber palisade or, rarely, a stone wall. Occasionally a more lightly defended embanked enclosure, the bailey, adjoined the ringwork. Ringworks acted as strongholds for military operations and in some cases as defended aristocratic or manorial settlements. They are rare nationally with only 200 recorded examples and less than 60 with baileys. As such, and as one of a limited number and very restricted range of Anglo-Saxon and Norman fortifications, ringworks are of particular significance to our understanding of the period.

The earthwork remains of the ringwork known as Kingshaugh Camp are rare, particularly well preserved and retain significant archaeological deposits. The deposits at the bottom of the ditches, the construction material of the banks and the buried land surface beneath the banks will all contain important artefactual and environmental evidence. The earthworks and the historical and archaeological documentation combine to provide a clear picture of the ringwork and its social and economic position in the wider medieval landscape.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the earthwork and buried remains of Kingshaugh Camp, a ringwork which surrounds the 17th century Kingshaugh House. The house itself is a Grade II Listed Building which tradition places on the site of a hunting lodge founded by King John. Kingshaugh Farm also sits within the ringwork. The monument is situated in a meander of a stream which forms the northern boundary of the area of protection. The earliest reference to `Kingeshag' is in pipe rolls dating to 1194 when it is recorded that there was pasture worth ten shillings. In 1211, in the accounts of Brian de Insula who was working for the king in the East Midlands, there is a reference to the spending of five hundred and fifty pounds four shillings and seven pence for building the king's houses and enclosing the park. Further work was carried out in 1212 and 1214. There is also the first reference of `Kingeshawe' being a castrum or fortified camp in 1214, indicating that the earthworks were present by this date. A chapel was recorded in 1215 and a thick wall within Kingshaugh House is said to be the surviving remains of this. After this the property was given to various knights who held it for the king but in state papers of 1604 it is recorded that the manor left the king's demesne and was bought by Augustine Earl. Artefacts, including large quantities of Iron Age and Roman date, have been recovered from the site and its surrounding area. This suggests that the area had been an important foci of settlement for some considerable time, beginning long before the earliest written references to the site. The monument survives as a series of earthworks and buried remains. In the eastern half of the monument a sub-circular area, measuring approximately 120m in diameter, is defined on its south and east side by a bank and external ditch or moat which survives to a depth of up to 3m. On the north side the bank is degraded but still survives as a low, wide feature and provides a fairly steep slope down to the north. The stream provides a natural defence on the north, north east and north west sections of the monument. On the western side of the moated area, the bank and ditch have been lost beneath modern farm buildings. To the south of the sub-circular area the defence of the monument was further strengthened by a complex series of banks and ditches. On the south east side a wide ditch is separated from the inner moat by a narrow corridor. This runs in a southerly direction for approximately 40m before turning at right angles and widening towards the west. A low bank flanks it on its southern side. The wide ditch, to the south of the corridor and low bank, is `L' shaped with the shorter stretch running north to south and the longer section running to the west for the full width of the monument. On the western side of the moated area the bank and ditch lie beneath modern farm buildings. Where small scale excavations for service trenches or other building works have been carried out within the farm yard significant archaeological deposits have been uncovered, indicating the level of survival beneath the ground surface. The buried remains include an infilled section of ditch. The short section of the ditch is the widest but tapers to a point at its northern end where it provides access to the corridor. At its widest point, the ditch contains a high, well defined ovoid mound which appears to have provided additional defence to the corridor. To the south of the ditch are the degraded remains of another bank and outer ditch. These are curved in plan and provide an almost mirror image of the curve in the stream which defines the northern boundary of the monument. Both the eastern and western ends of the bank and ditch have been truncated, at the western end by a modern farm track and at the eastern end by a field drain. This bank and ditch are very slight when compared to the other earthworks. Kingshaugh House, the modern farm buildings, all modern fences, gates, track surfaces and animal feeding troughs are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/10/2011

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Pipe Roll Society' in Pipe Rolls, , Vol. 35, (), 156
'Pipe Roll Society' in Pipe Rolls, , Vol. 35, (), 7
'Pipe Roll Society' in Pipe Rolls, , Vol. 35, (), 88
Other
also NMR no. SK 77 SE 2, Material from watching brief and fieldwalking,
SMR no. 04639, Kingshaugh Camp,

National Grid Reference: SK 76488 73457

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018619 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 04:50:18.

End of official listing