This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Warcop Roman camp and length of Roman road, 285m south west of Moor House

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Warcop Roman camp and length of Roman road, 285m south west of Moor House

List entry Number: 1019208

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Warcop

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 03-Jan-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Jul-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32852

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Roman camps are rectangular or sub-rectangular enclosures which were constructed and used by Roman soldiers either when out on campaign or as practice camps; most campaign camps were only temporary overnight bases and few were used for longer periods. They were bounded by a single earthen rampart and outer ditch and in plan are always straight-sided with rounded corners. Normally they have between one and four entrances, although as many as eleven have been recorded. Such entrances were usually centrally placed in the sides of the camp and were often protected by additional defensive outworks. Roman camps are found throughout much of England, although most known examples lie in the midlands and north. Around 140 examples have been identified and, as one of the various types of defensive enclosure built by the Roman Army, particularly in hostile upland and frontier areas, they provide an important insight into Roman military strategy and organisation. All well-preserved examples are identified as being of national importance.

Roman roads were artificially made-up routes introduced to Britain by the Roman army from about AD 43. They facilitated both the conquest of the province and its subsequent administration. Roman roads are highly representative of the period of Roman administration and provide important evidence of Roman civil and military engineering skills as well as the pattern of conquest and settlement. Despite the absence of upstanding earthworks, aerial photography has identified the below ground remains of a Roman camp 285m south west of Moor House and the possible remains of an earlier and smaller Roman camp partly underlying the larger fort's south western corner. Together with the adjacent length of Roman road, the monument will contribute to any further study of Roman military campaigning in northern England.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the buried remains of a Roman camp, together with the earthworks and buried remains of a 200m length of Roman road running along the south side of the camp. This formed part of the main Roman road from York to Carlisle across the Stainmore Pass. The Roman camp is located on the gentle south-facing slope of a spur which descends gradually to the south east. It is visible as crop marks on an aerial photograph which highlights features such as the camp's infilled defensive ditch. It measures approximately 60m WNW-ESE by 50m NNE-SSW and is more or less rectangular with each corner rounded in a broad arc. The camp's ditch is interrupted on all sides except the south west by relatively wide centrally placed entrances. The Roman road survives as a slight terrace on the hillslope south of the camp and north of the modern road. Other features visible on the aerial photograph include faint traces of a possible smaller and earlier Roman camp partly underlying the larger camp's south western corner, and a curvilinear feature immediately to the east of the larger camp. These features are also included in the scheduling. All modern field boundaries are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Welfare, H, Swan, V, Roman Camps in England: The Field Evidence, (1995), 50-1
Welfare, H, Swan, V, Roman Camps in England: The Field Evidence, (1995), 50-1
Other
AP No. DO 085, St Joseph,J.K., (1949)
AP No. DO 085, St Joseph,K., (1949)
AP No. DO 085, St.Joseph,J.K., (1949)

National Grid Reference: NY 74105 16748

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019208 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 03:41:17.

End of official listing