This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Medieval settlement remains 800m south of Manor Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Medieval settlement remains 800m south of Manor Farm

List entry Number: 1019361

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Milborne St. Andrew

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 07-Jun-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 09-May-2001

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 33542

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Medieval rural settlements in England were marked by great regional diversity in form, size and type, and the protection of their archaeological remains needs to take these differences into account. To do this, England has been divided into three broad Provinces on the basis of each area's distinctive mixture of nucleated and dispersed settlements. These can be further divided into sub-Provinces and local regions, possessing characteristics which have gradually evolved during the last 1500 years or more. This monument lies in the West Wessex sub-Province of the Central Province, an area characterised by large numbers of villages and hamlets within countrysides of great local diversity, ranging from flat marshland to hill ridges. Settlements range from large, sprawling villages to tiny hamlets, a range extended by large numbers of scattered dwellings in the extreme east and west of the sub-Province. Cultivation in open townfields was once present, but early enclosure was commonplace. The physical diversity of the landscape was, by the time of Domesday Book in 1086, linked with great variations in the balance of cleared land and woodland. The South Dorset local region is a diverse countryside comprising the South Dorset Downs and narrow limestone ridges and clay vales which curve around the chalk escarpments. Settlement is characterised by low concentrations of scattered farmsteads, and small villages and hamlets: ancient settlements whose arable fields were, on the evidence of Domesday Book, set among substantial tracts of pasture and woodland in the 11th century.

The medieval settlement remains 800m south of Manor Farm are a well-preserved example of their class, and will contain deposits providing information about medieval society, economy and the environment.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the earthwork remains of a medieval nucleated settlement 800m south of Manor Farm, lying on the western side of Milborne Brook on a gentle south facing slope. The name of the settlement is not known, but it may have been part of Milborne St Andrew or Milborne Church(s)ton. The name Milborne St Andrew, first mentioned in this form in 1294, referred originally to the southern part of the present parish, the southernmost part of which included the manor of Milborne Church(s)ton. Abandonment of the site, at an unknown date, may have been due to the movement of the village to its present location adjacent to the Dorchester to Blandford road where it crosses the Milborne Brook. The focus of the settlement appears to be a rectangular enclosure, 165m by 90m, at the southern end of the site and defined by a bank 3m wide and up to 1m high, with a 3m wide external ditch, now largely infilled. This contained at least six square internal plots, defined by banks and scarps, several of which contain the remains of buildings and other features, including an oval embanked depression. To the north of the enclosure is a series of small rectangular paddocks, defined by banks and scarps up to 0.5m high, and two possible building platforms are visible along the edge of the brook. These remains are less well-preserved and the eastern edge of the monument has been disturbed by the canalisation of the brook which has been shifted slightly to the west. Earthworks on the western side of the site have been disturbed by a track running diagonally across the site which has been worn down over the years creating a hollow way. Sherds of medieval pottery have been found on the site. At the northern end of the monument there is a large cutting, approximately 25m wide and 2m deep, which appears to be of a later date than the paddocks; its function is unclear, although it has been suggested that it may be the leat of a later mill, the exact location of which is unclear. Because of the uncertainty of its function and date it has not been included in the scheduling. In addition, further paddocks were noted on aerial photographs taken in 1934, extending northwards towards the present village but, as they are no longer clearly visible and cannot be easily interpreted, they are not included in the scheduling either. All fence and gate posts, and water troughs are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mills, A D, English Place Name Society Dorset: Volume I, (1977), 306-307
Other
Historical Monuments in the County of Dorset, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SY 80182 96354

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019361 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 12:34:16.

End of official listing