Round barrow on Rabbit Hill, 120m north of High Park House

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1020353

Date first listed: 09-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-1999

Map

Ordnance survey map of Round barrow on Rabbit Hill, 120m north of High Park House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020353 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 23:24:37.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Winton, Stank and Hallikeld

National Grid Reference: SE 41420 96864

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Although reduced by agricultural activity, this barrow has survived as an earthwork and significant information about the original form, burials placed within it and evidence of earlier land use beneath the mound will be preserved. It is one of a wider group of barrows in the area providing important insight into burial practice. Such groupings of monuments offer important scope for the study of the use of land for social and ritual purposes in different geographical areas during the prehistoric period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a round barrow situated in a prominent position on the crest of a low hill known as Rabbit Hill lying in undulating land approximately 5km west of the Hambleton Hills. The barrow has an earth and stone mound standing 0.9m high. It was originally round in shape, but has been altered by agricultural activity and now measures 9m north to south by 18m east to west. The mound was originally surrounded by a quarry ditch up to 3m wide, although this has been filled in over the years and no longer survives as an earthwork. The monument is part of a wider group of similar prehistoric monuments located in the lowlands to the west of the Hambleton Hills.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 31357

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Other
Pacitto A et al, EH FMW AM 107 Report, (1983)

End of official listing