Robin Hood's Bower earthwork enclosure in Southleigh Wood

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1020365

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Feb-2000

Map

Ordnance survey map of Robin Hood's Bower earthwork enclosure in Southleigh Wood
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020365 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 00:53:01.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Sutton Veny

National Grid Reference: ST 87673 42317

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Earthen enclosures provide evidence of land use and agricultural practices in the prehistoric and Romano-British period, although later examples are also known. They were constructed as stock pens or as protected areas for crop growing and were sometimes subdivided to provide temporary accommodation for stock, farmers or herdsmen. The size and form of enclosures may vary considerably depending on their particular function. Robin Hood's Bower earthwork enclosure in Southleigh Wood is a well preserved example of an earthwork enclosure and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the people who built it and the landscape in which they lived.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes Robin Hood's Bower, a sub-rectangular prehistoric earthwork enclosure on low lying Greensand south of Warminster. The monument comprises a sub-rectangular area of 200 sq m enclosed by a ditch up to 1m deep and 7.2m wide and a slight inner bank 3.3m wide and up to 0.2m high. The enclosure is crossed by a modern track.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33523

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Colt Hoare, R, The Ancient History of Wiltshire: Volume I, (1812), 50

End of official listing