Moated site at Astwood Court
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020711.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 22:11:50.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Redditch (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 03102 62299
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Astwood Court is a well-preserved example of a simple moat typical of many to be found in the area. The survival of a water- filled moat with limited recent disturbance will provide archaeological and environmental information. The survival of two other moated sites each within 1.5km of Astwood Court will provide the opportunity to consider the relationships between high status settlements in the region during the medieval period, and particularly to examine the arrangement of manorial complexes within the Royal Forest of Feckenham.
The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of a small
five-sided moated site located in a broad, low-lying, undulating valley,
which lay within the jurisdiction of the medieval Royal Forest of
Feckenham. The moated site measures approximately 125m east-west by 90m
north-south, its island approximately 90m east-west by 60m north-south.
The arms of the moat survive in good condition and are water-filled. They
vary from 5m to 10m wide, being widest across the angles, and are 2m to 5m
deep. The moat is spring fed from the north east and a culverted outlet
passes under the road from the western angle of the moat.
A timber framed farmhouse, which is Listed Grade II and of largely 16th to 17th century construction, with a possible 15th century hall at its core, occupies the western portion of the moat island and is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath it is included. The surface of the island is level with the surrounding ground, although the remains of an inner lip survive around the south eastern angle.
The timber framed farmhouse and its associated buildings, all modern foot bridges, the surfaces of garden paths, patios and driveways and all garden furniture and fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath all these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Worcester: Volume III, (1913)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing