This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Linear boundary 870m south west of Spring Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Linear boundary 870m south west of Spring Farm

List entry Number: 1020729

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ashmore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 12-Jul-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Apr-2003

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 33567

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Cranborne Chase is an area of chalkland well known for its high number, density and diversity of archaeological remains. These include a rare combination of Neolithic and Early Bronze Age sites, comprising one of the largest concentrations of burial monuments in England, the largest known cursus (a linear ritual monument) and a significant number and range of henge monuments (Late Neolithic ceremonial centres). Other important remains include a variety of enclosures, settlements, field systems and linear boundaries which date throughout prehistory and into the Romano-British and medieval periods. This high level of survival of archaeological remains is due largely to the later history of the Chase. Cranborne Chase formed a Royal Hunting Ground from at least Norman times, and much of the archaeological survival within the area resulted from associated laws controlling land-use which applied until 1830. The unique archaeological character of the Chase has attracted much attention over the years, notably during the later 19th century, by the pioneering work on the Chase of General Pitt-Rivers, Sir Richard Colt Hoare and Edward Cunnington, often regarded as the fathers of British archaeology. Archaeological investigations have continued throughout the 20th century and to the present day. Linear boundaries are substantial earthwork features comprising single or multiple ditches and banks which may extend over distances varying between less than 1km to over 10km. They survive as earthworks or as linear features visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, or as a combination of both. The evidence of excavation and study of associated monuments demonstrate that their construction spans the millennium from the Middle Bronze Age, although they may have been reused later. The scale of many linear boundaries has been taken to indicate that they were constructed by large social groups and were used to mark important boundaries in the landscape, their impressive scale displaying the corporate prestige of their builders. They would have been powerful symbols, often with religious associations, used to define and order the territorial holdings of the groups responsible for their construction. Linear earthworks occur quite widely across parts of Cranborne Chase and together, these are of considerable importance for the analysis of settlement and land use in the Bronze Age. All well-preserved examples are, therefore, considered to be of national importance and will merit statutory protection.

Cranborne Chase is an area of central southern England which includes parts of Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire. This area of chalkland is well known for a high number and deversity of archaeological sites. These include a unique range of Neolithic and Early Bronze Age features, comprising one of the largest concentrations of barows within England, the largest known cursus in England and a significant number and range of henge monuments. Other important remains include a wide variety of enclosures, settlements, field systems and linear boundaries which date throughout prehistory, the Romano-British and medieval periods. The importance of this archaeology is further enhanced by the occurrence of many monuments as rare survivals often with unusual associations. From at least Norman times, Cranborne Chase formed a Royal hunting ground and much of the archaeological survival within the area resulted from the laws which were applied until 1830. The unique archaeological character of The Chase has attracted much interest and research. During the later 19th century important contributions were made by General Pitt Rivers, Sir Richard Colt-Hoare and Edward Cunnington who are often regarded as the 'fathers' of British archaeology. Their research resulted in significant advances in excavation technique, recording methods and archaeological interpretation and their pioneering achievement owed much to the archaeology of Cranborne Chase. The linear boundary 900m south west of Spring Farm lies within Cranborne Chase. It is one of two scheduled sections which may be part of the same boundary extending over a distance of about 2.2km. It will contain archaeological deposits providing information relating to later prehistoric land use and environment.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a linear boundary extending from south west to north east across a gentle south facing slope on Cranborne Chase. The boundary survives as a well-preserved earthwork 80m long and has a ditch, 4m wide and 0.5m deep, with a bank, 6m wide and up to 0.6m high on its south side. The central and eastern sections have been reduced in height and spread by ploughing over the years. At the eastern the end the boundary now bisible as a low earthwork while in the central area there are no visible remains, although theditch will survive as a buried feature. it is now visible as a low earthwork while in the central area there are no visible remains, although the ditch will survive as a buried feature. Sections of a similar linear boundary earthwork 1.05km to the north west are the subject of a separate scheduling. The boundary has not been positively identified within the intervening area either on the ground or on aerial photographs and consequently this area is not included in the scheduling. A prehistoric field system was noted on aerial photographs taken in 1947 and 1954 but by 1978 the Ordnance Survey recorded that there was no visible trace of this and it is also not included in the scheduling. All fence posts are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 90887 16118

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020729 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 10:53:13.

End of official listing