This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PENLEIGH HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PENLEIGH HOUSE

List entry Number: 1021471

Location

PENLEIGH HOUSE, FAIRWOOD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Dilton Marsh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 313744

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DILTON MARSH FAIRWOOD ROAD ST 85 SE (east side) 4/106 Penleigh House 11.9.68 GV II Country house. Late C17, extended 1710 for George Turner. Rendered rubble stone, tiled roof with gable end rendered stacks. T-plan main range with rear wing. Two-storey, 7-window 1710 east front. Square stone C19 classical porch with double half-glazed doors with broken pediment and parapet, three 12-pane sashes in moulded stone architraves either side. First floor has seven 12- pane sashes in moulded architraves, cornice to plain blocking course with urns. Two hipped attic dormers with 2-light casements, louvred vent to apex of roof. Slightly earlier range to left has three moulded cross windows to ground floor, plat band and three 12-pane sashes to first floor, one hipped attic dormer. Left return in rubble stone has small 8-pane sash to first floor and single recessed chamfered attic light. Right return of main range has external stack with datestone; GT / 1710; initials of George Turner. Rear of main range has 2-storey wing containing stairs, door with 6 fielded panels with segmental head, beaded Venetian stair window leaded cross window to right and 4-pane sash to left, hipped roof; to right is C18 gabled wing and 2-storey lean-to extension with 16-pane sash. Interior not accessible at time of survey (July 1986), but said to have good early C18 stairs with turned balusters, original joinery and fireplaces. George Turner bought the property in 1704 from Lord Stourton. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965)

Listing NGR: ST8562250828

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1965)

National Grid Reference: ST 85622 50828

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021471 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 02:56:41.

End of official listing