This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD VICARAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1021474

Location

THE OLD VICARAGE, THE HOLLOW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Dilton Marsh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Nov-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Sep-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 313752

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DILTON MARSH HIGH STREET ST 84 NW off south side) 7/14 The Old Vicarage

GV II The description shall be amended to read: Vicarage, now detached house, 1850, by Thomas Austin of Bristol. Coursed squared rubble stone with ashlar quoins and dressings, Bridgewater filed roof, tall ashlar stacks with moulded cappings, some square, some octagonal. Two parallel ranges with cross-wing to south, two storeys and attics. Entrance front has Tudor arched doorway to right, hoodmould with date 1904, ribbed door. Large 3-light mullioned and transomed window lighting stair-hall to left, 5-light mullioned and transomed window to left again. String course. First floor has 3-light and 2-light mullioned casements. Gable end of cross-wing to right. 4-light mullioned and transomed window below, 4-light window above, small 2-light one in gable. All glazing has been replaced by modern double glazed unit c.1985 within existing frames. Garden front of cross wing has 5-light mullioned casement to central bay with Tudor arched lights, 4-light mullioned and transomed window to right. First floor has one 2-light and one 3-light mullioned window. Datestone 1850. Rear wing has 5-light mullioned and transomed window and 3 light similar with 4 and 3-light mullioned windows above. Interior retains most original fittings; 4-panelled doors, open- well stairs with turned balusters and mouled handrail, tiled floors, original carved fireplaces, kitchen dresser and cast-iron column screen. (Plans and specifications in Diocesan Records, Trowbridge).

------------------------------------

DILTON MARSH HIGH STREET ST 84 NW (off south side) 7/14 The Old Vicarage GV II the address shall be amended to read THE HOLLOW The Old Vicarage The list was previously amended in respect of this entry on 3.3.1988

---------------------------------------------------------------

DILTON MARSH HIGH STREET ST 84 NW (off south side) 7/114 The Old Vicarage GV II Vicarage, now detached house. 1850 by Thomas Austin of Bristol. Coursed rubble stone, Bridgewater tiled roof, ashlar stacks with moulded cappings. Two parallel ranges and cross wing to south. Tudor-arched doorway with hoodmould with date 1904, ribbed door to right, large 3-light mullioned and transomed window lighting stair hall to left, 5-light mullioned and transomed window to ground floor, string course, 3-light and 2-light mullioned casements to first floor. Garden front of cross wing has 3-light mullioned casement to canted bay with Tudor arched lights, mullioned and transomed window to right, first floor has two 2-light mullioned casements, date stone 1850, gable end has 4-light mullioned and transomed or mullioned casements, with relieving arches. Rear wing has 2-light mullioned casements. Interior retains original fittings; 4-panelled doors, open-well stairs with turned balusters and moulded handrail, tiled floors. (Plans and specifications in Diocesan Records, Trowbridge)

Listing NGR: ST8494349714

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 84943 49714

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021474 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 06:44:57.

End of official listing