CASTLE FACTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1021556

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1976

Statutory Address: CASTLE FACTORY, COURT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CASTLE FACTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021556 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 17:05:20.

Location

Statutory Address: CASTLE FACTORY, COURT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Trowbridge

National Grid Reference: ST 85551 57783

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COURT STREET 1. 5411 (South West Side) Castle Factory ST 8557 7/201 II GV

2. Principal block to street: 1828. Designed and built by Gane brothers. 5 storeys and attics. 11 bays. Red brick, ground floor painted. Stone plinth, band over ground floor and cill bands to 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors. Standard mill windows in raised stone surrounds, segmental headed with central mullion. The ground, 3rd and 4th floors retain glazing bar casements, rest altered. Round headed window 3rd from left on 1st floor formerly for steam engine. Wide segmental headed entrance to right. 2 large modern double doors to left. 6-10-6-light attic casements. Wide segmental headed gable end windows. Quarter hipped double roman tile roof with slightly stepped coped verges. Stunted chimney at south-east corner. Parallel block to riven: circa 1820s-30s. 4 storeys and gable lit loft. Red brick with stone bands over ground floor and 2nd and 3rd floor cill bands. Stone brackets to gutter. Stone window surrounds, square with segmental upper inner edge. Glazing bar sash windows 5 (1 on 3rd floor) + 4 (+ 2). Various ground floor openings. Double roman tile roof with formerly 3 domestic type chimneys; coped verges. Probably for hand worked machinery. Linking block to river and street blocks: to south east of previous 2 blocks. 1826-36. Brick with stone dressings, some attempt to match other 2 blocks. 2 single light windows to river. 8 standard 2-light windows to south east. Lunette window to river side marks site of boiler house. Top floor, originally only lit from south west, once a stove rack for drying cloth.

The listed Mills in Court Street form an industrial group with Home Mill Buildings, Castle Factory and The Chapel (Offices of Samuel Salter and Co Ltd).

Listing NGR: ST8555157783

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 313945

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing