This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MARKET HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARKET HALL

List entry Number: 1021622

Location

MARKET HALL, MARKET STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Trowbridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1971

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 314081

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARKET STREET 1. 5411 (South Side) Market Hall ST 8557 7/100 3.2.71. II

2. Former Market Chambers. Now only skin deep front to modern shopping mall. 1861. Attributed to C. E. Davis. 3 storeyed, stone building in Italinate style with gabled central attic. Wide front with 5 round headed windows in attic and 5 openings each to ground and 1st floors. Large brackets to eaves and gable. Impost mouldings, billet hoods and stiff leaf foliage to 2nd floor imposts. Sculpted vesca above in centre containing Lamb and Flag and Wheatsheaf emblems. Stiff leaf foliage impost to 1st floor openings; also billet hoods, and panels below windows (all late glazed sashes). Open arcade (in antis) on ground floor with round piers, very stiff leaf capitals and plant motifs and motto outer order inscribed from left to right: "The Earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof"; "Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord", "Erected A.D. 1861 by William Stancomb Lord of the Manor"; "A false balance is abomination to the Lord"; "Owe no man anything". The engaged capitals at each end further sculptured with, to right, a plough with sheep and, to left, woolsack and 2 sorts of spinning wheels.

Listing NGR: ST8565657905

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 85656 57905

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021622 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 03:14:10.

End of official listing