This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BAPTIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BAPTIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1021744

Location

BAPTIST CHURCH, OLD BROUGHTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Melksham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 314354

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 9063 MELKSHAM OLD BROUGHTON ROAD (west side)

5/137 Baptist Church (formerly listed as Baptist Church Sunday School) 29.9.50

II

Baptist Church. 1776, restored 1879. Rubblestone, double Roman tiled (steeply pitched) hipped roof. Square plan. 2-storey, 3- window. Original entrance door is on right return from street. 6- panelled double doors in staff-moulded case with pulvinated frieze and pediment on pilasters. Either side is sash in beaded case. First floor has three round-headed 4-pane sashes in beaded cases. Right and left returns have two sashes in ground floor in beaded cases and two 4-pane round-headed sashes to first floor. Attached to left return is C19 entrance hall and sunday school. Late C18 cartouche is on left return. Interior: Galleries on three sides, of 1795, have elaborate cast iron balconies supported on cast iron columns with composite capitals. Pews and pulpit are wooden and date from restoration of 1879. Ceiling has plaster cornice and central rosette with acanthus leaves. Marble wall tablet to Ledyard family of 1790, and one to Joshua Russell, 1840 in classical style. Removal of Victorian pews proposed in 1984. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: ST9020064286

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)

National Grid Reference: ST 90200 64286

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021744 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 12:49:19.

End of official listing