WOOLMORE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1021762
Date first listed:
13-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
WOOLMORE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOOLMORE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021762 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:39:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
WOOLMORE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Melksham Without
National Grid Reference:
ST 91630 62493

Details

ST 96 NW MELKSHAM WITHOUT BOWERHILL (east side)

4/178 Woolmore Farmhouse



II*

Farmhouse. G.M.H.. 1631 on tablet below central first floor window. English bond brick with ashlar quoins, 4-span roof has stone slates to front pitches and pantiles to rear pitches, saddleback coped verges and finials to gables. 4 brick stacks to central valley. Square plan. 2 storeys with attic, 3-windowed symmetrical facades. Central planked door has moulded Tudor arched surround, with stops to jambs and 2-light hollow chamfered mullioned window over; string course is raised above whole. To either side are 4-light mullioned and transomed windows with king mullions and leaded glass. Relieving arches over all windows to ground and first floors. Central cross window with 3-light mullioned and transomed windows either side to first floor, string course over. Left return is same as front without central door, ground floor left and first floor cross window are blocked, attached stone wash house to left. 4 attic gables each have one 2-light hollow mullioned window with drip mould; all are blocked. Right return is same but with central chamfered door case and planked door, inside C20 lean-to porch, blocked 4-light mullioned and transomed window to right. Rear is same as front but with 3-light flat mullioned window to left of door and 3-light cyma mullioned window to right. Interior: cross passage from front to rear. Front room to left has large Tudor fireplace with cornice and herringbone brick back, doors are narrow panelled oak, one with fine carved border. Rear left room has Victorian marble fireplace. No C17 ceiling beams are exposed; lowered ceilings throughout. Narrow rear stairs to first floor which retains more interesting features: rooms to front right and rear right contain large stone Tudor fireplaces with cornices over. Centrally placed on side walls and adjacent to front and rear rooms are garderobe chambers with narrow panelled oak doors. Square beaded panelled oak cupboards, possibly for spices, in front right bedroom. Blocked fireplaces in front and rear left rooms. Roof trusses all replaced c1926 following a fire. Brickwork restored c1903. Built for George Hulbert, a London vintner. (V.C.H. Wiltshire, Vol. 7, 1953).

Listing NGR: ST9163062493

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
314395
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1953)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07425/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Witherow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].