This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1021875

Location

CHURCH OF ST PAUL, STAVERTON VILLAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Staverton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 314668

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 86 SE STAVERTON STAVERTON VILLAGE (west side)

5/220 Church of St Paul



GV II

Anglican parish church. 1826. Dressed limestone, Welsh slate roof with coped verges with cross finials. Plan: short west tower, nave and chancel under one roof with small sanctuary, south porch and north vestry. Gabled porch has moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould and cross over, lancets to side. Nave has 3-light depressed Tudor-arched window either side of porch. Sanctuary has 3-light depressed Tudor-arched window to east. Small gabled north vestry with pair of shouldered lights and corbelled stone stacks. North side of nave has three 3-light depressed Tudor-arched windows. Two-stage tower has no string courses; planked shouldered west doorway, 3-light depressed Tudor-arched window over, bellstage with 2-light pointed louvred windows, shallow gabled roof with coped verges. Interior. Porch has fixed stone benches, Tudor-arched double panelled doors into nave, collar rafter roof. Nave and chancel under same roof have Tudor-arched barrel-vaulted ceiling with moulded stone cornice. Moulded Tudor-arched tower arch and similar arch to Sanctuary at east end. Fittings: C19 octagonal limestone font near south door. Late C19 communion rail with foliage and vine-carving and open traceried panels. Stained glass in east window to Elizabeth Hargreaves died 1887. Metal commandment boards on east wall of chancel. Damaged canvas Royal Arms against west wall of tower, probably C19. Grey marble tablet with pediment on south wall to Jane Smith died 1778 and other family members up to 1856. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST8548660855

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: ST 85486 60855

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021875 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2017 at 10:57:06.

End of official listing