Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of NESTON PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021961 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 22:13:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 86206 67143


CORSHAM ATWORTH LANE, ST 86 NE 3/3 Neston Park 20.12.60 II*

Country house, c1800, for J. Fuller, extended 1807, c1835-40, 1862 and 1875. Ashlar with slate low pitched roofs. Basement and 2 storeys to front, 3 storeys to rear service range. 'L'-plan main house with extensive service and stable additions. Main S front as illustrated in 1805 was of 2-1-2 bays with east end bow, angle Corinthian pilasters, attached Corinthian columns framing centre bay and further 2 bays to left with angle pilaster. Main front now is of 2-3-3 bays with east end bow, angle Corinthian pilasters and large projecting 4-column Corinthian portico with pilaster responds, an addition of 1862 (P. Pictor, contractor), so that original main entry is now in right bay of portico. Rusticated basements, sill-course under ground floor windows, band, moulded cornice with fluted frieze and parapet. Windows in flush unmoulded surrounds, full-length to ground floor. C19 plate glass sashes and French windows within portico. Entrance bay within portico is as illustrated in 1805, upper tripartite window over arched doorway with traceried fanlight, 6-panel door, side-lights panelled dividing stone piers and lintel. East end 3-window full height bow with 3-window range to right, possibly added c1830-40 when stair- hall was created. Three upper sashes and cornice moulding as on main front. Ground floor obscured by large projecting single storey billiard room, added 1875 by E. Habershon. Ashlar with Corinthian pilasters, cornice and parapet, 4-window south front, moulded architraves, one French window with balustraded stone steps up. East end is more ornate with projecting pediment over centre window and arched niches flanking. West front is plain 2 storey 6- window range with band, cornice and parapet as on main front but without rusticated basement. Second and fourth bays project slightly, centre and angles have plain pilaster strips. North end rainwater head is dated 1807. To north, projecting west, is 6-bay ashlar conservatory, added 1866, with 5 arched windows to south, one bay return linking to north end of west front and 3-bay west end with centre doorway. Panelled pilasters, moulded arches with keystone, cornice and blocking course. Behind is 3-storey c1875 service wing with north entry and west gabled bellcote. Behind west front, facing east is 3 storey, 4-window range with frieze, cornice and parapet as on main fronts, floor bands and 4-pane sashes. One-window range returns to left and right. Beyond right side extends a long 'L'-plan coach-house and stable range, first 2 storey, 7 windows with cornice and parapet, the ground floor incorporating 4 rusticated elliptical arches with imposts and keys, apparently earlier than the upper floor and 2-window section to left. Beyond is single storey 'L'-plan range with slate roof dated 1841. South front has elliptical carriage arch each end and 2 small-paned windows, one with dormer gable over. West front has 2 windows flanking a door and south end tower with paired arches to top stage and Jacobean-style cross gables. Interior: 'T'-plan double height hall cut through front range to broad rear stair-hall with imperial staircase rising to gallery on marbled Corinthian columns. Wrought-iron stair and gallery rails. Ornate plasterwork. Probably an alteration of c 1830-40. Library to east of entrance has plaster early C19 frieze and green and white marble fireplace, reset from room west of entrance, now kitchen. At west end is ornate and unaltered rococo-revival drawing room of 1836 with gilded plasterwork to walls, ornate ceiling plaster and fine white marble fireplce. Dining Room to north in 1807 range has plaster frieze and triple arcade at north end with marbled pilasters and elliptical central arch. Decoration possibly also of c1830-40. 1875 billiard room at east end has high coved ceiling and elaborate stone fireplace. The estate was built up by T. Tropenell in C15, passed to the Eyre family and in 1692 to the Hanham family who sold it c1790 to J. Fuller (died 1839). J.B. Fuller (died 1872) and G.P. Fuller (died 1927) succeeded. (H. Brakspear, Corsham, n.d.27.)

Listing NGR: ST8620667143


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Brakspear, H, Corsham27


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].