This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BEECHFIELD HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BEECHFIELD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1022071

Location

BEECHFIELD HOUSE, MIDDLEWICK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Corsham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 315293

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORSHAM MIDDLEWICK LANE, Pickwick ST 8670 4/265 Beechfield House GV II

House, c1794-9, ashlar with low-pitched slate hipped roof and 2 rear wall stacks to main range. Main range has formal 3-storey, 5- window front with raised plinth, sill bands to ground and first floors, moulded cornice and parapet. Centre bay is slightly projected. Six-pane attic windows, 12-pane elsewhere, longer to ground floor. French window to first floor centre. Central projecting ashlar enclosed porch with Doric angle pilasters, moulded cornice and small iron rail above. Broad central arch with large traceried fanlight over 6-panel door and sidelights, with pilasters between. Each end wall has full-height 3-window bow. Two-storey north-west service wing with cornice, parapet, ridge stack and northend stack. Two 12-pane upper sashes, ground floor sash paired with door and pair of sashes, ground floor openings in raised moulded surrounds. North-east rear wing mid to late C19, 3- storey, 2-window with moulded architraves to attic and first floor windows. Two-storey, one-window addition beyond. Interior has moulded plaster borders to main ceilings, central open-well stair with skylight over and plain balusters. On site of a C17 house called Leyceters demolished c1794 and present house built c1794-9 for Rev. J.L. Willis. Owned later by Sir G. Goldney M.P. (1814-1900) and Sir F.H. Goldney (1846-1920). (H. Brakspear, Corsham n.d.26 - reprint Wilts.Arch.Mag.43 511-39)

Listing NGR: ST8621270738

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Brakspear, H, Corsham26
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 43, (), 511-39

National Grid Reference: ST 86212 70738

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022071 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 09:38:40.

End of official listing