THE MANSION HOUSE (CORSHAM YOUTH CENTRE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1022096

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Statutory Address: THE MANSION HOUSE (CORSHAM YOUTH CENTRE), PICKWICK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANSION HOUSE (CORSHAM YOUTH CENTRE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022096 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 00:19:14.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANSION HOUSE (CORSHAM YOUTH CENTRE), PICKWICK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Corsham

National Grid Reference: ST 87065 70260

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORSHAM PICKWICK ROAD ST 87 70 (south side) 5/327 The Mansion House (Corsham Youth Centre) 20.12.60 (Corsham Youth Centre with forecourt walls Mansion House) GV II

House, c1720 altered 1897 by H. Brakspear, ashlar with hipped stone-tiled roof and 2 central ashlar stacks. Two storeys and attic, 5-window range, square plan main house with formal north front. Raised plinth, moulded cornice over ground floor, modillion cornice and parapet with 5 short sections of balustrade. Channelled quoin pilasters. Windows in architraves with fielded apron panels, C19 plate-glass sashes. Central 8-panel double doors in architrave with scrolled pediment on brackets. Semi-circular steps up. Three dormers with alternating pediments. Similar dormers to east and west side, east side has large projecting bay dated 1897. Garden front appears largely C19 apart from quoin pilasters and piers over. Arched doorway with carved arms and dates 1721 and 1897. Attached to west is service wing in 3 sections, 'L'-plan. First range is early C18, 3-storey and attic with coped west gable and end stacks, 3 hipped dormers and 6-window range, originally of 2-light flush cyma-moulded mullion windows, but 4 on first floor replaced by C19 twelve-pane sashes. Moulded timber eaves, flush quoins and dripcourses. Ground floor has C19 glazed corridor in front with 2 ashlar porches, but original details survive within. Second section, at right angles is single- storey room with large bay window, dated 1900 on north stack. Beyond is 2-storey, 4-window stable, dated RNS 1723 for R and S. Neale. Coped gables, end stacks, door in ashlar surround with cornice, ashlar carried up framing datestone and decorative keyed oval upper window. Rubble stone each side, originally rendered, one-window range to right, 2 to left, of 2-light mullion windows, possibly C19. One window is in blocked elliptical arched opening. Interior: much fine fielded panelling, including completely panelled rooms to north-west on each floor, panelled hall arch and paired arches on landing. Stair has surviving panelled dado and carved brackets to treads but balustrade has been removed. North- west rooms each floor have panelling, upper room with bolection- moulded fireplace.

Listing NGR: ST8706570260

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 315355

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing