LACOCK PRIMARY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1022168

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Statutory Address: LACOCK PRIMARY SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LACOCK PRIMARY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022168 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 02:01:56.

Location

Statutory Address: LACOCK PRIMARY SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lacock

National Grid Reference: ST9157168447

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LACOCK HIGH STREET ST 9168 (north side) 4/90 Lacock Primary School 20.12.60 GV II

School 1824, extended 1852 and 1869 by Pritchard (Pevsner). Squared rubble stone with stone slate roofs. Original school has symmetrical front of two 4-light Tudor-style mullion windows with hood moulds flanked by Tudor style doors. Between windows, carved stone Talbot arms with plaque beneath 'Erected by W.H.F. Talbot Esqr 1824'. Left end addition is steeply roofed Perpendicular Gothic style with far-projecting cross wing and short link with end stack to original building. Coped gables, large Perpendicular style 4-light south end window and east side stack. Lean-to passage against east wall added 1911 by H. Brakspear. West side wall has centre gable over 3-light windows, 2-light flat-headed windows each side and heavy corbels to gutter. Interior: fine mid C16 doorcase with cornices each side removed from north-east chapel of Lacock Church in 1861 restoration. School was founded by W.H. Fox-Talbot to mark his 21st birthday in 1821 and is said to have been enlarged in 1852 and 1871 (village guide) or 1864 (Kelly's Directory and Pevsner), 1869 according to school log-book. (N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 290)

Listing NGR: ST9157168447

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 315525

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 290
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, ()

End of official listing