SCHOOL HOUSE AND SCHOOL COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1022235

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1951

Statutory Address: SCHOOL HOUSE AND SCHOOL COTTAGE, EASTCOURT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOOL HOUSE AND SCHOOL COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022235 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 04:20:55.

Location

Statutory Address: SCHOOL HOUSE AND SCHOOL COTTAGE, EASTCOURT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Crudwell

National Grid Reference: ST 95519 92870

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 99 SE CRUDWELL EASTCOURT ROAD (south side)

3/65 School House and School Cottage

12.12.51

GV II

Former school room and school house, now 2 dwellings. 1670 with C19 alterations and thorough restoration at time of resurvey (August 1986). Coursed rubble with flush rusticated dressed stone quoins, stone dressings and hipped stone slate roofs with stone ridge stacks. Rectangular plan. Two-storey, 3-window north front. One chamfered cross-mullion to ground floor left, timber casement in original opening to right and 2-light chamfered mullions to upper floor (only upper window to right is original). Central round-headed doorway with projecting keystone and abaci, plank door. Continuous string course with flush relieving arches over ground floor windows. East front has renewed cross-mullion and 2-light mullion fenestration and C20 plank door to centre. Interior: ground floor room in School Cottage to right of north front has Tudor-arched fireplace with moulded jambs and stop- chamfered beams; interior of School House entirely remodelled. Built by Lord Lucas. (Aubrey & Jackson, Wiltshire Collections, 1862; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST9551992870

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 315687

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Aubrey, , Jackson, , Wiltshire Collections, (1862)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing