CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1022241

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022241 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 03:30:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hankerton

National Grid Reference: ST 97250 90759

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 99 SE HANKERTON CHURCH LANE (east side)

3/84 Church of the Holy Cross

28.10.59

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. Late C12 (north arcade), late C13 (north aisle), C15 (west tower) and 1903 (chancel). Squared and coursed dressed stone to tower, coursed rubble to remainder with some render, stone dressings, ashlar copings and stone slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle, south porch. Nave south side has one 2-light C15 window under flat head to left of porch, two C15 windows to right: one 3-light under pointed head and one 2-light under flat head, both with hoodmoulds. North aisle has a single 3-light Tudor-arched C15 window set in deep reveal to right end and a blocked Caernarvon-arched doorway; 3-light Early English east window. West tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses with set-offs, moulded string courses, south-east corner stair turret and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and gargoyles below. Western buttresses at first stage have statue niches. West face of tower has a 3-light C19 Perpendicular style window to first stage and an oblong opening to second; 2-cusped-light bell openings with pierced wooden panels to all faces. Chancel of 1903 (dated on gable end) with Perpendicular style 3-light east window. Gabled south porch with multi-rolled pointed-arched entrance with 2-leaf plank doors and inner doorway with Ringerike style dragon stops to hoodmould and C19 plank door; benches either side. Interior: 4-bay north arcade with circular piers, moulded capitals, circular abaci and double-chamfered round arches. Wagon roof to nave, ribbed plaster vault to tower and further wagon roof to north aisle. Low, narrow, chancel arch probably C13 giving onto C20 chancel with barrel vault. Fittings: 1744 wall monument to the Ludlow family on nave north wall by the tower, C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil frieze by south door. Fine 1775 monument to Miles Earle by Nollekens on west wall of north arcade: marble tablet with an urn at the top. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST9725090759

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 315706

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing