BARN, GRANARY AND COWSHED TO THE SOUTH EAST OF MANOR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1022243
Date first listed:
02-May-1977
Statutory Address:
BARN, GRANARY AND COWSHED TO THE SOUTH EAST OF MANOR FARMHOUSE, CLOATLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN, GRANARY AND COWSHED TO THE SOUTH EAST OF MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022243 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 23:36:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARN, GRANARY AND COWSHED TO THE SOUTH EAST OF MANOR FARMHOUSE, CLOATLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hankerton
National Grid Reference:
ST9774390896

Details

In the entry for:

ST 99 SE HANKERTON CLOATLEY ROAD (north side)

3/91 Barn, granary and cowshed to the 2.5.77 south-east of Manor Farmhouse

GV II

The grade and the description shall be amended to read:

ST 99 SE HANKERTON CLOATLEY ROAD (north side)

1360-/3/91 Barn, granary and cowshed to the south-east of Manor Farmhouse

GV II*

Barn, granary and cowshed. Granary is probably C16, and converted from a dovecote; barn dated E/G/E1707 over north doors; cowshed to centre is probably late C18 or early C19. Coursed rubble to all elements, flush rusticated dressed stone quoins to barn; timber lintels over openings; stone slates to barn, double Roman tiles to south side of granary and cowshed, concrete tiles to north. 4-bay barn to left (east) with oppsed and central double doors, saddle stones and bulls' eye openings to gable apexes; later lean-to to left of door. Interior has collar truss roof with butt purlins. Cowshed to centre with 2 openings to north, open to south and extending along the south faces of barn and granary as lean-to. 4-bay granary to right (west) with 2 doors, one window opening and loft opening to north side; steps to loft door in west gable end. Interior has probably C16 collar-truss roof with open notch-lap joints of early type to collars; doveholes exposed in loft. Forms part of an exceptionally complete farmstead of early date, mostly built in 1706-7 for Giles Earle, son of Sir Thomas Earle who had bought the manor at this date. The store-house and animal-house of 1706 (qv) stands as a parallel range to the south.

(WILTSHIRE FARM BUILDINGS 1500-1900, Wiltshire Buildings Record (ed. P.M. Slocombe), 1989, p63).

------------------------------------

ST 99 SE HANKERTON CLOATLEY ROAD (north side)

3/91 Barn, granary and cowshed to the south-east of Manor 2.5.77 Farmhouse

GV II

Barn, granary and cowshed. Barn dated E/G/E/1707 (over north doors). Coursed rubble to all elements, flush rusticated dressed stone quoins to barn; stone slates to barn, double Roman tiles to south side of granary and cowshed, concrete tiles to north. Four- bay barn to left with central double doors to north and south, saddle stones and bulls' eye openings to gable apexes. Interior: butt-purlin, collar and tie-beam roof structure. Cowshed to centre with 2 openings to the north, open to the south and extending along the south fact of barn and granary as lean-to. Four-bay granary to right with 2 doors, one window opening and loft opening to north side and steps to west gable end. Interior: butt-purlin, collar and tie-beam roof structure.

Listing NGR: ST9774390896

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
315713
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].