Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of GARSDON MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022252 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 21:31:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Lea and Cleverton
National Grid Reference:
ST 96345 87653



6/102 Garsdon Manor



Manor House. Late C14 open hall range to the west with early C17 addition restored post 1661 and further restoration and alterations in the C19 and C20. Squared and coursed rubble with flush rusticated dressed stone quoins, stone dressings and stone slate roofs with tall paired ashlar stacks with moulded caps. Irregular L-shaped plan with C14 core range projecting west to the rear of C17 block. South front with 2-storey and attic, 2-window C14 hall range to left (2 eastern bays masked) and advanced 3-storey, 3- window C17 block. Windows to C14 range are 2-light C19 casements under cambered heads; 2 hipped dormers. Windows to C17 block are 6-light ovolo-moulded cross-mullions. Circa 1840 doorway in west end bay with 2 round-headed lights. Moulded string courses above second and third storey windows, blocking course developing in each bay to a gable; double-span roof. East front has range with 2- light cavetto-moulded mullions with hood-moulds to upper floor only. Interior: C14 four-bay open hall (now divided) has original butt- purlin, hammer-beam arched collar-truss roof structure with 4-way kingposts and wind-braces. Great Parlour on first floor in C17 block has fine c1630 stone chimneypiece: coupled columned jambs and carved over-mantel with strapwork and caryatids. Plaster ceiling of the 1660s with moulded cornice and broad ribbed strapwork with tree motifs; further identical plaster decoration in first floor room to east. The manor was owned by Richard Moody in the early C16, Sir Laurence Washington in the early C17 and passed by marriage in 1661 to Sir William Pargiter whose rebus is displayed in the pear-tree decoration to the great parlour ceiling (partridge in a pear-tree). (Aubrey & Jackson, Wiltshire Collections, 1862; June Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST9634587653


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Aubrey, , Jackson, , Wiltshire Collections, (1862)
Badeni, J , Wiltshire Forefathers, (1960)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].