THE MANSELLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1022257

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1951

Statutory Address: THE MANSELLS, OAKSEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANSELLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022257 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 12:33:49.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANSELLS, OAKSEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Minety

National Grid Reference: SU 00616 91373

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 09 SSW MINETY OAKSEY ROAD, Upper Minety (west side)

4/117 The Mansells

12.12.51

GV II

Detached house. Dated 'EP / 1656' on main door lintel (probably for Edward Pleydell) with c1700 addition and considerable late C19 additions: for William Oliver (dated 'WO / 1899' on north chimney flue) and further early C20 alterations and additions. Squared and coursed rubble with some render, some roughcast to C19 and C20 additions, some half-timbering, some timber lintels, stone dressings and stone slate roofs with stone stacks. Irregular H- shaped plan with central 1656 core wing, south-east advanced 1700 addition, south-west C20 kitchen wing and late C19 north range whose north-east corner may be of earlier date though much remodelled. U-shaped south-east front with 1700 range of 2 storey and attic to left, central 1656 block of 2 storeys and attic, 2 windows. and late C19 wing of 2 storeys and attic to right. C17 block has 2 and 3-light ovolo-moulded mullions; 2 hipped dormers. 1700 block has 3-light oak mullions with small leaded pane casements, bracketted cornice, one hipped dormer and hipped roof to south-east end. Leaded pane casement fenestration to C19 wing with half-timbering to north-east oriel window. Doorway to left in angle between ranges with C20 porch, outer C17 plank door and inner Tudor-arch. Triple-canted bay in corresponding corner to right with tall cusped lights. Interior: C15 timber traceried ceiling in ground floor room to north-west; various sections of panelling of different dates throughout ground floor rooms, all inserted in the house by William Oliver. Chamfered beams in C17 block with plank screens; inglenook fireplace in left-hand rear room. Ground floor room to 1700 addition has moulded beams and cornice. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0061691373

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 315739

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing