This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE ALMHOUSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ALMHOUSES

List entry Number: 1022291

Location

THE ALMHOUSES, 1-8

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Grittleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Feb-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 315825

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRITTLETON LEIGH DELAMERE ST 87 NE

7/14 Nos 1-8 (consec) The Almshouses

GV II

Row of almshouses, 1848 by James Thomson for Joseph Neeld of Grittleton. Squared rubble stone with stone slate roofs and clustered ashlar stacks, one group of four on each wing, two on centre ridge. Two storeys. Long centre range with projecting gabled wings each end. Tudor style with raised plinth, dripcourse and 2-light stone mullion windows with hoodmoulds. Centre has 5- window range, the upper windows under eaves-breaking shouldered gables. Centre gable has blank shield plaque over 2-light with small single light each side and ground floor heavy projecting open porch with shouldered gable, shield and crest and depressed Tudor- arched openings on three sides. Tudor-arched entry gives on to spine passage with access to four almshouses. A low wall each side of porch front connects to wings. Wings have door and first floor 2-light on inner sides, 2-step shouldered gables with ashlar coping, shield plaques, first floor two light windows and ground floor triangular bay windows to south end walls. Bay windows have centre buttress and two Tudor-arched lights each side. Wings have diagonal angle buttresses. (Wiltshire Record Office, 1620/43 has original designs by Thomson dated 1848, showing a front cloister on low front wall, not actually built)

Listing NGR: ST8848479281

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 88484 79281

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022291 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2018 at 06:48:41.

End of official listing