This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LEIGH DELAMERE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LEIGH DELAMERE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1022292

Location

LEIGH DELAMERE HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Grittleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Feb-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 315826

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRITTLETON LEIGH DELAMERE ST 87 NE

7/15 Leigh Delamere House

GV II

Former rectory, 1846 by James Thomson for the Rev J.E. Jackson, squared rubble stone with imitation stone slate eaves roof and tall ashlar stacks. Two storeys, Tudor style. South front has 4-shaft ridge stack, 2-shaft outside east end stack and two projecting gables each side of narrow centre. Moulded plinth and dripcourse. Mullion windows with hoodmoulds. Centre has double doors with hoodmould and single casement above. Gables have first floor 3- light mullion-and-transom window and ground floor projecting mullion-and-transom windowed bays, square bay to left, canted bay to right. Left gable projects slightly further than right. North west rear wing has 2-shaft ridge stack, and, adjoining end gable of front range, a 2-storey gabled porch bay with moulded doorway and semi-circular ashlar 3-light oriel over. In porch two C19 plaques, P.K. 1639 (for Rev P. Kingsman) and J.E.J. 1846. To left, single light each floor, upper light under eaves-breaking gable, then slightly set back, one window range of 2-light windows. Beyond is single-storey service range with ridge stack and gable to centre of west front. East front has slightly projected gable adjoining east end of front range with square bay and 3-light mullion-and-transom window over. Rear wing with 3-shaft stack on ridge and single shaft north stack, 2-window range to east. The Rev J.E. Jackson was rector 1845-91, author of 'A History of the Parish of Grittleton' 1843, and editor of John Aubrey's 'Wiltshire Collections' 1862. (J. Badeni, Wiltshire Forefathers, 1960, 101-3)

Listing NGR: ST8855379259

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Badeni, J , Wiltshire Forefathers, (1960), 101-3

National Grid Reference: ST 88553 79259

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022292 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2018 at 07:21:14.

End of official listing