This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1022294

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Grittleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Feb-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 315832

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRITTLETON LITTLETON DREW ST 88 SW (west side)

2/21 Church of All Saints

20.12.60

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church, C15 central tower, nave and chancel 1856 by T.H. Wyatt. Squared rubble stone with stone slate roofs and coped gables. Thin 3-stage tower with north stair projection up to bell stage, dripcourses and flat-headed cusped 2-light bell-openings. Embattled parapet. 1856 work is Perpendicular style with slight variations in detail each side. Three-window nave with diagonal west buttresses, 3-light pointed west window, gabled north porch between flat-headed 2-light windows with hoodmoulds, and south side buttresses between flat-headed single-light and two 2-lights. South side vestry with west door attached to tower. Chancel has 3- light pointed east window; 2-light flat-headed window each side and one north side lancet. Interior: plain with open timber roofs and stained glass 1856 east window by C. and A. Gibbs. C13 circular font on moulded shaft with spurs at foot. North wall recumbent C15 female effigy in wall recess. Two fragments of carved C9 cross-shaft built into north porch. (N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1897, 301; M. Harrison, Victorian Stained Glass, 1980, 77)

Listing NGR: ST8313980189

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, M , Victorian Stained Glass, (1980), 77
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 301

National Grid Reference: ST 83139 80189

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022294 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 12:28:02.

End of official listing