UPPER SWINLEY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1022342

Date first listed: 29-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: UPPER SWINLEY FARMHOUSE, STANTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of UPPER SWINLEY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022342 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 11:19:32.

Location

Statutory Address: UPPER SWINLEY FARMHOUSE, STANTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Kington St. Michael

National Grid Reference: ST 90521 79211

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGTON ST MICHAEL STANTON ROAD

ST 97 NW

8/142 Upper Swinley Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse, C17 origins, remodelled in later C18, rubble stone with stone slate roof, hipped at north west angle, ashlar end stacks and large front ridge stack with three diagonal shafts. Two storeys and attic, L-plan with double-fronted east front of 3-light cyma- moulded flush mullion windows of C18 type each side of door in ashlar surround set in mid C19 porch with coped gable, arched front entry and Tudor-arched side entries. Reset datestone WC 1639 in gable. North front has one-window range of similar windows to left and brick lean-to to right. South end wall has sundial in gable. Parallel rear range with south stack. Interior not inspected. From 1583 leased by Hungerford family to Coller family, sold to them 1651. Sold to Rev G. Estcourt c1652 and house described as newly built in 1664 at his death. In the C19 farm was part of the Neeld of Grittleton estate. (J. Badeni Wiltshire Forefathers 1960 94-5; Wiltshire Notes and Queries 2 1899 351, 394)

Listing NGR: ST9052179211

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 315955

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Badeni, J , Wiltshire Forefathers, (1960), 94-5
'Wiltshire Notes and Queries' in Wiltshire Notes and Queries, , Vol. 2, (1899), 351, 394

End of official listing