MAUD HEATH'S MONUMENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1022352
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1960
Statutory Address:
MAUD HEATH'S MONUMENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAUD HEATH'S MONUMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022352 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 11:55:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
MAUD HEATH'S MONUMENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Langley Burrell Without
National Grid Reference:
ST 94686 75797

Details

LANGLEY BURRELL KELLAWAYS ST 97 NW WITHOUT

8/163 Maud Heath's Monument

20.12.60

GV II

Monument, dated 1698 to Maud Heath died 1474, ashlar pillar on pedestal base. Cornice cap and large top piece with sundials on three faces and ball finial. About 3m high, pillar has arched- headed sunk panels with pendant keystones and carved spandrels on three faces, the west side panel inscribed 'Chippenham Clift', the east 'Wick Hill' and the front with 'To the memory of the worthy Maud Heath of Langly Burrell Widow who in the year of Grace 1474 for the good of travellers did in Charity bestow in Lands and houses about Eight pounds a year for ever to be laid out on the Highways and Causey leading from Wick Hill to Chipenham Clift. This piller was set up by the feoffees in 1698. Injure me not.' The sundials have inscriptions in Latin above and English below. Scheduled Ancient Monument Wiltshire 245.

Listing NGR: ST9468675797

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
315976
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00398/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Michelle Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].