Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1022362

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022362 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 15:16:11.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Luckington

National Grid Reference: ST 84184 83054


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/189 Church of St Giles



Anglican parish church, 1844-5 by James Thomson reusing a few elements from previous C12 to C15 church. Ashlar with stone slate roofs and coped gables. Nave, north porch, north east tower and spire, south aisle and transeptal south east 'chantry'. Perpendicular style with moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses. Twin gabled west end with large 4-centred arched windows, 5-light to nave, 3-light to aisle. Nave north wall has gabled porch, church north door within has original c1200 chevron arched-head surround with two columns and scallop capitals, heavily restored. C19 door. Three-stage tower to left with diagonal buttresses and east stair projection up to base of bell-stage, which has flat- headed 2-light windows, battlements and recessed octagonal broach spire. South aisle has buttressed south wall and one small central 2-light pointed window with octofoil head. Chancel has two north cusped lancets, 3-light east window. To south, one similar lancet. Projecting transept with coped south gable, east side gable over 3- light Perpendicular style window, south end has small spherical triangle upper light, to gallery, and west side door gives access to gallery stairs. Interior: nave has original C15 arch-braced collar rafter roof, rest of church has similar C19 roofs, the intersections of transept and aisle and transept and chancel roofs more elaborate. Nave has much restored c1200 three-bay arcade of circular piers and two- chamfer pointed arches, with carved head corbels on end piers. Original also a moulded pointed north side arch to tower. Octagonal font is apparently original but retooled with added inscription band and wood cover. Timber C15 screen is also original, restored, with vine carving in cornice and traceried head to centre opening. Five-panels each side. Plain Tudor-arched chancel arch and arches at east end of aisle and north end of chantry. South aisle roof is on carved corbels. Chantry has north-facing pews and schoolchildren's gallery at south end. Chancel has elaborate carved stone east end panelling, partly framing east window with canopied corner niches and large statues of St John the Baptist and Saint Mary Magdalene. Fittings and monuments: Carved stone almsbox (similar to that at Leigh Delamere q.v.). C19 pews have finely carved bench ends by W.H. Rogers, chancel has row of stalls. Fine quality stained glass by T. Wilmshurst, especially the east window, the others generally with stained glass to heads only. Numerous reset monuments: in chancel on south wall fine carved and painted kneeling figure in niche to Charles Gore died 1628, aged 6, but in contemporary adult costume and under arch to chantry a C15 Perpendicular style altar tomb to Thomas Gore died 1532. On north wall brass plaque in carved frame of 1641 to the five children of Charles Gore who died in infancy and painted stone Baroque pedimented plaque to Thomas Gore died 1684. On floor numerous slabs to Gore family, one in white marble to Walter died 1712 and two brass plates to Elizabeth died 1641 and Lydia died 1654. In transept, wall plaque to Charles Gore died 1697. In south aisle carved stone frame to brass plaques to Ann and William James died 1636 and 1637 and late C18 marble plaque to.W. Hodges, died 1757. (J. Thomson History of the Church and Village of Alderton (unpubl.) 1845; N. Pevsner, Wiltshire 1975 84-5; J. Badeni Wiltshire Forefathers 1960 1-7)

Listing NGR: ST8418483054


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 316002

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Badeni, J , Wiltshire Forefathers, (1960), 1-7
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 84-5
Thomson, J , History of the Church and Village of Alderton

End of official listing