This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE COMEDY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE COMEDY

List entry Number: 1022468

Location

THE COMEDY, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Christian Malford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Nov-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 316266

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHRISTIAN MALFORD MAIN ROAD ST 97 NE (north side) 5/142 The Comedy II House, early C19 remodelling of C18 house, roughcast with low- pitched slate hipped roof and rear stacks. Two storey, 5 window front of sashes in plain rendered surrounds, 16-pane above, 20-pane below and centre 6-panel door with depressed-arched fanlight. A C19 ashlar Roman Doric porch of two columns and pilaster responds has been added, removed from a house in Devizes. Rubble stone end walls with brick at rear upper angles. North-west rear wing, possibly C18, in painted brick with ridge stack and coped north gable. Casement pair and triple casement above, door and triple casement below. Late C19 north-east rear wing. Said to originate c1720 as two cottages, have been remodelled 1805 and extended 1880. Part of the Meux estate in Cl9.

Listing NGR: ST9722779662

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 97227 79662

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022468 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 10:34:42.

End of official listing