This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WEST STREET FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WEST STREET FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1022519

Location

WEST STREET FARMHOUSE, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Great Somerford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Nov-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 316347

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT SOMERFORD WEST STREET ST 98 SE 3/221 West Street Farmhouse II Farmhouse, late C17 on earlier core, part rubble stone, part ashlar fronted, with stone slate roof, end stacks and ridge stack between two sections. Two storeys and attic. Three-window left section is ashlar fronted with cyma-moulded recessed mullion windows and hoodmoulds, 3-light each side, 2-light to centre over former door, now C20 window, with hoodmould. Ground floor right window has mullions removed for C20 window. Incorporated into the walling are bands of C12 chevron moulding and six carved plaques, five floral roundels and one shield with rampant lion, said to be Mompesson arms. West end outside stack and evidence of an earlier roof. Section to right is rubble stone with similar two-light and three-light above, with hoodmoulds, and two C20 ground floor windows with original hoodmoulds each side of door in flush moulded surround set in C19 picturesque timber-framed and roughcast porch. North east rear wing, roughcast with stone slate roof. House was known as Cockerells or Cottrills in C17. Bought by W. Alexander 1687, who probably rebuilt the house before his death in 1724. (Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine, 31 1901 283).

Listing NGR: ST9585982583

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 31, (1901), 283

National Grid Reference: ST 95859 82583

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022519 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 04:57:17.

End of official listing