CROSS OF ST PAULINUS IN GARDEN OF BURNLEY COLLEGE ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1022617

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Nov-1997

Statutory Address: CROSS OF ST PAULINUS IN GARDEN OF BURNLEY COLLEGE ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE, BANK PARADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CROSS OF ST PAULINUS IN GARDEN OF BURNLEY COLLEGE ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022617 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 14:44:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CROSS OF ST PAULINUS IN GARDEN OF BURNLEY COLLEGE ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE, BANK PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 84235 33080

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURNLEY

SD8433SW BANK PARADE 906-1/10/11 (East side) 10/11/51 Cross of St Paulinus in garden of Burnley College Adult Education Centre (Formerly Listed as: BANK PARADE (East side) Cross of St Paulinus in the grounds of Old Grammar School)

GV II

Formerly known as: Cross of St Paulinus, near junction of Bank Parade and Church Street BANK PARADE. Market cross. Probably erected c1295 in former market place to east of Church of St Peter; removed to Godley Lane c1617, and thence to this site in 1881. Roughly-hewn millstone grit monolith on low chamfered square base. Rectangular in section and approximately 3m high, tapering towards a mutilated wheel-head top which has a small raised hemisphere in the centre of each face but now lacks the horizontal spokes and the outer ring (only the stumps remaining). Although mutilated and ex situ, a rare and important survival in this county.





Listing NGR: SD8423533080

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 466987

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing