This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MARKET CROSS AND STOCKS IN GARDEN OF BURNLEY COLLEGE OF ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARKET CROSS AND STOCKS IN GARDEN OF BURNLEY COLLEGE OF ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE

List entry Number: 1022618

Location

MARKET CROSS AND STOCKS IN GARDEN OF BURNLEY COLLEGE OF ADULT EDUCATION CENTRE, BANK PARADE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Nov-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 466988

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURNLEY

SD8433SW BANK PARADE 906-1/10/13 (East side) 10/11/51 Market cross and stocks in garden of Burnley College Adult Education Centre (Formerly Listed as: BANK PARADE (East side) Steps of market cross and old stocks in the grounds of Old Grammar School)

GV II

Formerly known as: Steps of market cross & old stocks, near junction of Bank Parade and Church St BANK PARADE. Base of former market cross, with remains of former stocks. Cross erected c1617, and stocks said to have been constructed in earlier C16, both in former market place to east of Church of St Peter (qv) and removed to this site c1881. Gritstone. The base of the cross is octagonal, with one step, a 3-course plinth of large blocks, and a large moulded monolithic pedestal. The remains of the stocks, built close to the cross so that its step served as the seat, consist of 2 low jambs and a damaged 2-part sill cut away in the centre. HISTORY: last used in 1865.









Listing NGR: SD8423433066

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 84234 33066

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022618 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 12:25:01.

End of official listing