Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of LODGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022628 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 21:03:14.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Burnley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 83921 34976



SD8334 BARDEN LANE 906-1/5/20 (South side) 29/09/77 Lodge Farmhouse


Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1874 on rear gable but incorporating some fabric removed from adjacent early C17 house known as "The Lodge", which was demolished in that year; and altered. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roof. L-plan formed by double-depth, double-fronted main range with short rear wing to left. 2 storeys with cellars and attic, 3 windows, almost symmetrical. The centre has a gabled single-storey porch, with a moulded round-headed arch which may be from the earlier house; and, above this, the principal feature of interest, which is a very unusual ogival-headed 5-stage 15-light mullion-and-transom stair-window with ovolo-moulded mullions and transoms, ogival hood-mould, and a coped gable with kneelers and the stumps of former finials. Such a window is not shown in surviving photographs of either the front or the rear of The Lodge, and may have been assembled from parts of several different windows in that building. The other windows are orthodox for the date 1874: vertical-rectangular openings with raised sills and plain surrounds, and altered glazing. Coped gables, gable chimneys. The rear has similar C19 fenestration, and a datestone in the gable of the wing inscribed "RTP 1874". INTERIOR not inspected.

Listing NGR: SD8392134976


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/07405/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter J. Sturtivant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].