This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST MICHAELS CLOSE FLATS 1-11 (CONSECUTIVE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST MICHAELS CLOSE FLATS 1-11 (CONSECUTIVE)

List entry Number: 1022633

Location

ST MICHAELS CLOSE FLATS 1-11 (CONSECUTIVE), 18, NORTHGATE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 467004

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564NW NORTHGATE STREET 639-1/3/489 (West side) 07/08/52 No.18 St Michael's Close, Flats 1-11 (consec)

GV II*

A building now containing 11 flats; premises of the King Edward VI Grammar School from 1664 to 1883 and subsequently until 1939 a girls' boarding school, conducted by Anglican nuns. C17 with C18 and C19 alterations and additions. Timber-framed and rendered in panels with a raised stucco band between the storeys. A hipped plaintiled roof and wide moulded eaves soffit. L-shaped plan with a wing extending west at the south end. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, cellars and attics. The front is divided into 2 distinct halves: on the north side a range of 7 2-light casement windows with square leaded panes in cast-iron frames to the upper storey: some are original with a single small opening casement and one retains arched cusped heads to the lights; the remainder are replacements in a cross form. 6 cross windows on the ground storey, with ornate window latches in C17 style, were inserted c1945 when the building was converted to flats. They replace the original windows, set at a higher level. A central 6-panel door with the 4 top panels glazed, has a wood doorcase with a flat cornice hood on shaped and moulded consoles. Above the door is a rectangular plaque with an abbreviated Latin inscription explaining the transfer of the Grammar School to this building in 1664. Over the plaque an empty semicircular niche with a moulded architrave, keystone and impost blocks, which formerly held a bust of King Edward VI. The south end, added in the C18, has a 4-window range of 12-pane sashes in flush cased frames. A pair of half-glazed Edwardian doors are set within a heavy Ionic porch with columns in antis. Above the porch is a C19 cast-iron balcony. The south face of the rear wing has sash windows to the upper storey and 2 heavy late C19 canted brick bays to the ground storey with flat roofs and parapets. 7 hipped dormers are spaced across the east front and 4 across the south front, all have 2-light cast-iron casements with square leaded panes. Partly overlapping at the back of the main building is a recessed 2-storey C19 block, rendered, with slate roof and small-paned sash windows. INTERIOR: the original C17 north range contained the large



schoolroom of the Grammar School, in 4 bays, with a high ceiling at the level of the raised band along the front. 5 open trusses have ovolo-moulded main beams and heavy supporting arched braces resting on moulded stone corbels. This ceiling is now hidden above lower C20 ceilings and the schoolroom area is divided by C20 partitions. At the south end of the building the entrance hall, paved with limestone flags, has a central late Victorian/Edwardian stair in Cuban mahogany in an ornate C18 style. This replaced the earlier stair during repairs in the 1960s and came from the Jockey Club in London. (White W: Directory of Suffolk: Sheffield: 1874-: 574).







Listing NGR: TL8549264657

Selected Sources

Books and journals
White, W , Directory of Suffolk, (1874), 574

National Grid Reference: TL 85492 64657

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022633 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 11:44:41.

End of official listing