CHAFFER MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1022643
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Nov-1997
Statutory Address:
CHAFFER MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAFFER MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022643 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 04:32:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAFFER MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Burnley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 84286 32923

Details

BURNLEY

SD8432NW CHURCH STREET 906-1/16/31 (West side) 29/09/77 Chaffer monument approximately 12m south of Church of St Peter (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET (West side) Monument to the Chaffer Family in St Peter's Churchyard)

GV II

Monumental headstone and enclosure. Later C19. Commemorates various members of the Chaffer family, including: (i) Daniel, son of Thomas and Sarah Chaffer, d.1845, aged 1 year; (ii) the said Sarah, d.1846 aged 31; (iii) Ann, 2nd wife of Thomas, d.1864; (iv) Eliza, 3rd daughter of Thomas and Sarah, d.1869 aged 27; and (v) the said Thomas, d.1876 aged 69. Finely dressed sandstone. Gothic style. Very large headstone with cinquefoil panels in both sides, and crocketed corner pinnacles; rectangular enclosure in front surrounded by low walls with mouchette tracery. Forms group with Waddington monument adjoining on north side (qv), with Kay monument approximately 20m south (qv) and with Church of St Peter (qv).







Listing NGR: SD8428632923

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
467014
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/06879/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Russ Hill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].